Sunday, November 06, 2011

Farewell Topnotch



Had a surprise the other day when Karlos(spin instructor) asked me which gym I'd be going to next to which my response was 'eh?' Apparently the gym was closing down in 3 weeks due to Network Rail terminating the lease which I had no idea of because the letter was sent to my old address. Was a bit clueless as to where I'd be going next as I've been with Topnotch for 3 years now - being the first gym I've joined in London because of the Shard project which was just down the road.

Have to admit it's not perfect but the price was reasonable for its facilities (48pm)- classes, spin room, DJ-disco exercise room, weights, sauna, swimming pool. Lately I've significantly reduced my gym frequency routine in a week (2x max) due to work being far away and home not a walking distance either. However I've grown accustomed to the people i.e. gym members and instructors who know me by name and face.

For the track record in 3 years, they've cancelled a couple of classes without notice and didn't open at 6.30 am once(because Adam, one of the staff overslept). Looking back at it, these occurences out of a 365 x 3 day record didn't seem so bad. The manager doesn't respond to emails though.

The spin, bodypump and bodycombat class instructors are good and I've never found their classes boring due to the fact that they are fitness practitioners who genuinely like what they do and transmit that energy in the class. I've gone through 2 of them being pregnant and instructing throughout their pregnancy.

So it was pretty nostalgic to do the classes one last time with the same people and instructors which you've done for the last 3 years. A feeling not unlike leaving school and saying goodbye to your friends and teachers for the last time.

No comments: