Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Airport Homeless

Read an article recently in the Evening Standard:

"The Dispossessed: How this woman was saved from a life of sleeping rough with Heathrow’s homeless"

Which reminded me of an evening a few months ago when I did just that.I was working in Gatwick airport and had gone on a short trip to France and at the end of the trip arrived back to my 'work' destination. I'd arrived late and by the time I got out of the snaking midnight immigration queue, had already missed the last train. The funny thing was I didn't think of staying in a hotel (my student-save-money instinct kicked in) but decided to wait it out so that I could just get into the office in the morning. After all, it was only for 6 hours and I could go straight to work which was in the Longbridge House building in the North Terminal.


Gatwick was one of those airports which didn't shut down - no flights operated- but there were plenty of people waiting it out by sleeping. Some slept on the uncomfortable wooden benches, claiming the entire row like a settee....some curled along the walls, under escalators. The smarter ones went upstairs and slept on the Costa Coffee sofas. What I I had no idea was that some of them were genuine homeless people who'd found a 'safer' place to sleep than the streets.


It was the most uncomfortable night I've encountered - was upright most of the time (which was terribly bad for the back) and couldn't sleep which produced a buzzing lightheadedness compounding into a headache. My only consolation was that it would only last a few more hours. Passed the time checking mail on the internet terminal kiosk (which had a crappy screen) and looking for a better place to sit. By the time sunrise came at 4am, I had a genuine urge to flush my head in the toilet - the dazed, headachy feeling was that bad.My colleagues couldn't believe nor understand why I didn't want to check into the Yotel at least...Right now I don't understand it either.



After that one night in the airport, I have genuine sympathy for these people. I think I was meant to read this article and understand the overall terrible sufferings of being homeless. (which sleeping in the airport is only just a small part of it) If 6 hours was that bad, I couldn't imagine a few weeks, a few months of not being able to sleep in peace. I count my blessings for having a proper bed to lie in everyday.

5 comments:

~La Libellule Rouge~ said...

Woman, I would've cried from the pain I forced my back/neck to endure!

Fiona1 said...

Knowing you, I'd think you'd be enjoying yourself some how. how's life in ozzyland?

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, it's good to be thrifty but you must think that you need to work the next day and need to alert so don't put yourself thro all that suffering.
Take care

Fiona1 said...

Yes mom!
(to everyone else, my mom can testify that I've always been a kid who likes to save money)

Amy said...

I felt for the homeless when I was at the airport too. Sad, huh? Indeed we should really count our blessings to have a bed everyday.

Agree with your mum! Saving also has a limit, just know your priorities on what and where to spend and save. It's no use having lots of monies, but putting your health & body at risk.

Quoting your dad,"Earn and Spend, God will send." :)

Be financially savvy. Life is too short, Fiona!