Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Where No Man has Gone Before



I'm glad I watched the new Star Trek movie. I'm quite a picky movie-goer in a sense that I'd hate slam-bang mindless action and movies with poor script would irritate me no end.

I had high expectations of this one since I've heard so many good reviews from friends who had watched it and I'm happy to say that they were equally met. A cleverly written story plot by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman(The Island, Transformers) and a very strong and funny script - this pillarizes the new Star Trek into another successful sequel for the franchise. Do not be fooled by it's sci-fi genre; yes, it does have it's CGI moments but it is very much still a character-driven sequel. The nuances and norms of Star Trek would thrill existing Star Trek fans and not side-line the non-vulcanized movie-goers thanks to J.J. Abram's intelligent direction. It's amazing how an old tale could still manage to be 'sexy' and 'cool' with a little thought and effort. If only all sequels were made like this.

A little note on the side:
I can't claim to be a Trekkie i.e. haven't attended a Star Trek Convention, owned a Klingon mask nor have a Federation spandex suit in my cupboard. Nevertheless I've been 'taro'ed left and right for being a 'geek' for wanting to watch it. If something has that much resistance, then it must be that good(has and will - even after 43 years. Star Trek, may you live long and prosper!)

3 comments:

feistyflo said...

Can't agree more, sis. The references to all the original characters have been very subtly placed most times and delivered smoothly.

This is really an all-round entertaining story that just happened to be set in the Star Trek universe.

I look forward to more adventures with the new old crew!

Fiona1 said...

Yo Flo
I wouldn't like it to end up like Star Wars - overkilled.
Spock is a hottie though!

feistyflo said...

I agree about Star Wars. But with time-travel/alternate reality that the crew is now in, there is so much material to utilise from the Star Trek canon, the sky is the limit.

The guy portraying Spock is Zachary Quinto. He also plays Sylar in the TV series Heroes. I enjoy watching him as Sylar, very intense character.