Friday, May 22, 2009

Life in London

Life is London sure is hectic. I came back from Lake District not too long ago and thought I'd have a little respite from the evenings after work but since then I've almost never had some time at home due to some friend coming over or doing this and that.

The team had a dinner yesterday and Jason asked me how I found life in London. My liner for this is "Life from one big city to another is not much too different so it's pretty easy to fit in" Though I'd never believed it would be possible without your own transport but living here has made me realise it is. London's transportation system is one of the most effective and efficient in the world and I'd have no qualms going out and worrying if I'd arrive at the destination wherever that was without wetting my underpants due to the long journey.

Inhabitants are spoilt for choice too with the variety of cultural activities. In the past months I've been to plays, musicals, a book launch, meetup groups, live blues performances, museums, a variety of restaurants - you name it, we've got it. Although the culture-lover might have to rein in or you'd find yourself skint at the end of the month. Information is also well channelled via newspapers, the internet,magazines - which is a contributing factor for I remembered once when some expatriate from Slovakia living in Malaysia once complained to me that nothing cultural ever happens in KL - though personally I felt that was an unjust remark as I myself was actively attending plays, open mics and book readings then. It was just that the information was not disseminated as effectively as they should have i.e. mainly though discussion lists and word of mouth and merely hanging out with the 'right' crowd.

The best bit I love about London is the free library service by the local councils. And the books, DVDs and CDs are top class too - no silverfish eaten pieces of scrap paper (which our National Library serves). The books starting with 'God of Animals' upwards which you can see on my left column on this site have been generously loaned by the Libraries of Ealing and Southwark Council - thus my gratitude to the taxpayers of the land for the opportunity to satiate my literary appetite.

No comments: