Monday, November 21, 2011

Budapest



Last trip before the year ends. Thanks to Rina for organizing this - her invite was a booster to launch my lazy ass out of the country. Budapest was one of my 'unexplored items checklist' and knowing myself, I'd never make it a trip on my own. So here I am sitting in Terminal 1 waiting for my flight out with my salami baguette and bottle of water which costs me 4 Euro - still cheap by other airport standards. Hungary was like that - cheap and cheerful. The apartment was unbelievabl at 11 pounds a night - plasma tv, bathroom, kitchenette anda all.

The highlight of the trip was the baths - had a relaxing soak in Szechenyi baths not far from the city centre . Yesterday night, I had a grand reunion with my former Hungarian housemates, Szilvia and Zoltan who brought us out on an express tour of Budapest and even tried to pay for our meal. The Hungarians in general are very polite and willing to help you if you ask and Szilvia and Zoltan are the epitome of this. Thank you Szilvie and Zolie for your kind hospitality!

With map in hand, we had our own random walking tour even though the skies were gray - walking along the banks of the Danube (Duna) river, Budapest's past glory and grandeur is still evident - the great Royal Palace overlooking the banks, the majestic Parliament Building opposite, the boulevard avenue leading to Herosz (Hero's square). This is a quiet city with wide pavements and roads - wondered if it was because of the weekend and everyone was home or it just me too used to London's manic rush. Most of the shops especially the side streets were closed.

Anyway my salami is almost finished now and I've got 1 h 45 mins before my flight departs. Time to finish my book......

Epilogue:
I lost my darn book! On the transit bus before boarding the flight

No comments: