Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Scar

I have a scar on my upper lip. It's light brown about the size of a finger nail. I don't notice it until I face the mirror in the morning to brush my teeth and then I realise it is there, it is still there. I put Bio-oil on it every day and eat Vitamin E capsules (2 a day) in the hopes that it fades away.

I can look at it both ways:

I have a scar and I had been hurt.

or

I have a scar and I got over the hurt

Scars are a sign of health - the ability of the skin to repair itself from a wound. Scars are also mementoes of an injury - a past pain. There are the physical scars and then there are the emotional ones. That discomfiting memory of a harsh word and transgression, a betrayal. You don't realise it's there until something/someone triggers the emotion and then you remember. But then again, you are alive and well now and have survived it - thus a celebration is called for. I came across this passage which seemed appropriate:

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means,"I survived".'

~The Other Hand by Chris Cleave~

1 comment:

Kak Teh said...

hi fiona, am back fr malaysia.hope u are well.