Sunday, July 26, 2009

Yasmin Ahmad

One of the gems of the country has passed on. Yasmin Ahmad was truly an inspiration...being a woman, forging her way in the creative industry in Malaysia, one would think it was an unrewarding task. But Yasmin loved what she did and she did it well. So well in fact that she's recognized internationally with her films - something very few Malaysians directors can hope to achieve.

I watched Sepet in the GSC Mid Valley when it first launched in 2004...something unheard of because I'd never have thought of watching a local film as they were notorious for being bad. But I've heard so much about this brave movie that I had to watch it..and I'm glad I did. 'Brave' because it dealt with the sensitive themes of interracial love - a theme which would rile the bigots running the censorship board.

Here is a snapshot of an interview with Yasmin - insightful and thoughtful. Rest in peaches Yasmin (life was peachy) and God bless you!

Bloggers meet with Yasmin Ahmad from rinaz on Vimeo.

No comments: