Saturday, May 09, 2009

Stepping out on the Right Foot with the Map of the Invisible World

Came full circle again at the Tash's book launch. Really looked forward to this new novel after Tash's highly acclaimed first novel "The Harmony Silk Factory". The discourse was also engaging and interesting with Kam Raslan leading covering subjects around the background of the story; Indonesia, Kuala Lumpur, diasporic writing, ethnicity, geographical influences. Found Tash's answers very thoughtful and introspective as is his writing style.


Had an overwhelming sense of deja vu when I stepped into the little library where the launching was held. Sure enough I saw Sharon Bakar there. After 3 years of not attending 'Fiction and friends' back in KL, I see her here in London. It was somewhat surreal and I thought of all the others I left behind; KK, Muntaj, Jo-ann, Jessica, Sham, Alina, Shashi etc. My new book club kaki, Sejal was there too. It was strange to have one KL book club member on my left and a London book club member on my right.

Also met Kak Teh through Sharon, another celebrity Malaysian blogger - a very lovely lady who has agreed to let me link my unworthy blog to hers. We went to a new Malaysian restaurant on 19 New Cavendish Street called Selera .

Was warmly welcomed by Encik Hafiz who owns the restaurant - in no time an excellent mee goreng, keropok and also ayam goreng was whipped up. We had a good meal and a chat. Crazily enough, Sharon (who had never been to this restaurant and was just on a holiday back) found out that her husband was old schoolmates with Encik Hafiz back in MCKK. We were meant to come here - it was a 'langkah kanan' as Kak Teh mentioned.

4 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Fiona, it was langkah kanan indeed! If we had planned it, nothing wuld turn out right.We must meet up again.

Fiona1 said...

Yes Kak Teh I totally agree. Providence crosses paths for us - and I hope it does again for us too.

bibliobibuli said...

it was so lovely to see you, Fiona!!

Fiona1 said...

Likewise my dear Sharon, likewise!