Friday, April 04, 2008

Ronnie Taheny




I just admire singer-songwriters like Australian Ronnie Taheny. I knew about her through Joe for a songwriting project in school. I got her wonderful "Ronnie and her Bloody DVD" and watched it hungrily. She reminds me of that character who went off into the wild in Alaska. Wild, wandering, evanescent, generous, and beautiful. Her performances are power packed and assailing. Go and watch her, and you'll know what I mean. Great music too bordering between rock, folk and pop but never any of these.

Her lyrics are deep - in fact the best part of her songs. When asked about a good song, lyrics is what she's particular about....and she's damn right about great songs (see an excerpt of her song 'Photograph' below)

Touring extensively all over Europe now, she was in Germany when I got hold of her. I'd love to go to one of her gigs and see her live but I have to make do with her DVD now...LOVE YOU RONNIE!


Photograph

Of all the days you keep

which ones keep you from your sleep?

Ones you’'d call your photograph?


A phase that comes and goes

while deep inside the emptiness grows,

Proof of your own photograph.

I'’m tired and I'’m worn-out

and it seems I’ve lost myself a reason

For trying to stick it out.



I say I'’m civilised which means

I'’m a savage in disguise,

A dark tormented other half.

And this crusade I’m in wakes an ancient voice

that sleeps within,


Destroying my own photograph.

I'’m tired and I'’m worn-out

and it seems I'’ve lost myself a reason

For trying to stick it out.



But I will live, each day I live

in the hope that I'’ll find my own photograph.

And I will live, each day I live

in the hope that I’ll find my own photograph.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can also highly recommend Ronnie's music (not that I'm biased :)).