Friday, May 18, 2007

Life is a marathon


God bless, completed my 2nd marathon. After the 21st km this time in Prague, I felt my legs getting numb and I knew I was in trouble. Didn't feel like this while in the Rome marathon. But nevertheless I persisted...better go slow than to stop. And so goes life....


It was great to stand at the start with everyone cheering and raring to go - the gentleman next to me was enthusiastic and asked me if it was my first marathon. I said it was my second. Then someone patted me on the back. They were Italian 'golden' marathoners...aged in their 50s but with times of 4h and less! The lady next to me asked me where I was from, and I said 'Malaysia'. She was Czech returning from the US and running her 5th marathon. And like in life you never know when you'll meet nice accompaniments such as these who'll give you encouragement and good will.


Towards the 38th, I started walking, no amount of bananas or sugar cubes could make me run to the next station -couldn't feel my legs anymore. Felt a bit disappointed with myself but I wanted to finish it. Everyone else was walking too....At the 41st, someone behind me said 'Allez!', my favourite song started playing and the volunteers were so cheerful so I picked it up again and ran like nothing all the way to the finish line. And like in life, never give up! "The Pain is Temporary but the Pride is Forever"

No comments: