Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Wild West (Jawa)



I can't believe I hardly blogged a book but I daresay i will blog Lonesome Dove if it kills me (and my LOMA 351 exam tomorrow which I haven't studied for yet). On the road from West to East Java, this was such a fitting read - travelling and roughing it out in the 'wild' country. I was torn to choose either Small Island (which i've yet to finish) to accompany me or pick up Larry McMurtry's 945 page novel. Somehow, the Hat Creek outfit story suited the occasion and I was too darn right. Yee Haw!

The pages flew by and I hardly noticed that the back end of the book was drawing near. I must thank Krishna Kumar for recommending this gripping read - I swear there were two parts of the novel where my tears blurbled (ala cowboy style) - it had of course something to do with Deets and Augustus but I won't say what. Living it in the rough, the lesson learnt was this "The best way to deal with death is to get on with it as fast as you can". Amen to that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yee Haw Pardner!After my shameless hyping of this book am glad someone picked it up and experienced the same thrill I did upon reading it.I remember dreading the end of this mesmerising tale of a cattle drive from Texas to Montana,as after almost 2 weeks of being immersed in this 945 page epic,I had grown to love the characters so much I hated the thought of leaving them.I deliberately slowed my reading of the book,apportioning a miserly few pages only for my daily consumption so as to prolong my involvement with the Hat Creek outfit.If you haven't got enough of Gus and Call yet,the good news is McMurtry wrote 3 other books featuring them:
1)Streets Of Laredo-Sombre and touching but nevertheless gripping sequel to Lonesome Dove.
2) Dead Man's Walk-The prequel,about the early days of Gus and Call when they first joined the Texas Rangers.
3)Commanche Moon-Joins the 20 year timeline between Dead Man's Walk and Lonesome Dove.

Fiona1 said...

Hey thanks for the comment! I must say it's been some time that I've been so immersed in a book. I bought it at Pay Less (it was doggy eared) but I still wrapped the book in hopes of reading it again. Dead Man's Walk sounds interesting and destined for my next read!