Thursday, July 28, 2005

Trois couleurs:Bleu


Yesterday's film at the Asia Europe Institute was another thinker-considered a 'major triumph of European Cinema"- interlaced with orchestrated music and visual themes. Trois couleur Bleu is the first of a trilogy by Krzysztof Kieslowski which examines the French ideals of liberty, fraternity and equality. The role of the woman dealing with the loss of her husband and child seemed made for Juliette Binoche who is absolutely in her element.

In the informal 'toilet debriefing', I mentioned to Amy and Yin Li if I or a lay-Malaysian would appreciate this kind of movie if it were played on a DVD instead of being shown on a big screen of an institution of higher learning amongst literati, academics and students. The answer is I that would - attesting to the fact that the musical score is already imprinted in my mind and Binoches bleeding knuckles scraping the stone wall is still playing in my head. Which I would like to allude my gratitude to organizations like the Asia-Europe Institute for planting the seed of appreciation in our culture-starved soil via these movie features.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aiiyaa!!

auntie u forgot to tell me!!
im very hungry for culture. dun forgot to tell me if theres any movie outing like this....
now im feeling hungry..... :(

Fiona1 said...

Oh my gawd!!!! Sorry Das! I really wanted to share the Irreversible experience too. You know every Wed AE Inst they have something on. For me I'll definitely be at the next Three Colours White screening on Aug 24, 8.30pm AE Inst, UM - u can start booking your calendar now